Join Chris Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video Parenting basics, part of After Effects Apprentice: 07 Parenting.
- [Instructor] If you have access to the exercise files…that came with these videos…open up project AEA Parenting 101.aep.…If instead you're following along using our book…After Effects Apprentice Second Edition…we're in lesson six, parenting and nesting,…and open up project 06A parenting.aep.…I've already queued up a RAM preview…and I'll press zero on the numeric keypad,…and you see we have three simple layers.…We have a background animation of these lines,…we have an animation of a rotating globe,…and we have a circle of text.…
Our plan here is we want to make…the text rotate around the globe,…and have the two of them scale up towards us as a unit.…Now we could animate these object independently,…but a better way to go about it is to parent them together,…so we can treat them as a group.…I'm going to press Home to return…to the start of my composition,…I'll select Text and Shift + click on planet,…so they're both selected,…I'll press S to reveal their Scale,…Shift + R to reveal Rotation,…and Shift + T to also reveal Opacity.…
The After Effects Apprentice series was created by Trish and Chris Meyer. These tutorials are designed for After Effects CS4 through CC, and can be used on their own or as a companion to the Meyer's book, After Effects Apprentice.
- Preparing files
- Making parenting connections
- Arranging the frame and arm
- Using null objects
- Crafting anthropomorphic-style animations
- Avoiding problems with non-uniform scaling
- Animating Fractal Noise
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/20/2012. What changed?
A: We added new movies on using the exercise files that come with this course, and added an additional set of exercise files designed for After Effects CS6.