Join Chris Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video More on precomps and effects, part of After Effects Apprentice 08: Nesting and Precomposing.
- [Instructor] When you create a…track matte composite in a pre-comp,…you have a lot more flexibility when applying effects.…For example, I can apply effects…to the matte and fill separately in the pre-comp,…and I could also apply effects in the main comp…after the track matte has been composited.…That's extremely useful for effects…like drop shadows as well as any of the…Displacement effects like our Turbulent Displace.…I don't have to do anything fancy…to distort the track matte composite.…
Or, of course, I could also apply it only…to the wire frame apple, or only to the fill.…I have all that flexibility.…With some effects, it may not matter…where you apply the effect.…Let's just say I want to change the color of the fill movie.…If I'm in the pre-comp, and I want to change the color,…I could apply an effect to the fill,…but I think there's a slight advantage…to applying it in the next level up in my main comp.…That's because I like to keep…as many attributes as possible at the top level.…
If you apply effects and key frames…
The After Effects Apprentice series was created by Trish and Chris Meyer. These tutorials are designed for After Effects CS4 through CC, and can be used on their own or as a companion to the Meyer's book, After Effects Apprentice.
- Grouping layers by nesting and precomposing
- Identifying and solving render order issues
- Navigating composition hierarchies
- Editing a precomp while viewing the result in another composition
- Preserving the frame rate of a nested composition
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/29/2012. What changed?
A: We added a new chapter, "Render Order Exceptions." It contains four new movies: Continuous rasterization, The Transform effect, Collapse transformations, and Compound effects. We also added a movie that shows our premium subscribers how to use the exercise files, including the new exercise files designed for After Effects CS6.