Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Limiting effects with masks, part of After Effects CC 2018: Editors and Post Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Generally, when you add an effect…onto a layer in After Effects, the effect is applied…to the entire layer.…But what if you want the effect to only apply to a section…of that layer?…Well, here in this movie, we'll see how we can limit…a layer effect using masks.…So typically when we use masks, we can select the layer…and cut out a certain section, and you'll see that…everything that's inside the mask is what's revealed.…Everything outside of that mask gets cut out.…We can actually use this power…to apply this to effects instead.…
So let's go ahead and turn that off and maybe,…for this piece of footage, I've got…inside the printing press these machines that are spinning.…The client's requested that maybe this orange…is much too dark.…It needs to be tweaked out a little bit.…So we can do a little bit of color correction here.…Let's go ahead and select our layer,…and under the Effects and Presets, let's just type in…hue and saturation, or just hue.…Here we go.…Click and drag this over to our layer.…
- Linking Premiere Pro and After Effects dynamically
- Navigating timeline layers
- Working with keyframes
- Precomping elements
- Animating mask reveals and tracking masks
- Creating elements with shape layers
- Animating shapes and text
- Working with Illustrator files
- Animating a logo
- Creating 3D type extrusions
- Creating a simple camera in Z-space montage
- Keying video with Keylight
- Batch rendering and Dynamic Link rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Creating Presets and Controllerswith Nick Harauz1h 29m Intermediate
1. How After Effects Is Different from Premiere
2. Working with Masks and Shapes
3. Working with Type and Logos
4. Working with Stills and Video
5. Outputting Media
6. Example Techniques
7. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.