Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Isolate key elements with garbage masks, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Instructor] In preparation for the process of keying,…it is oftentimes helpful to remove anything from the shot…that would be extraneous or unrelated to the isolation…of our foreground subject.…Usually, this means any camera or lighting gear…that's in the frame, or any other tidbits of the frame…that aren't fully covered with green screen.…And we can get rid of these elements…by use of a garbage mask.…Now, a garbage mask isn't any different from a regular mask.…I like to think of garbage masks…as being more utilitarian rather than creative.…They're there to take out the bits of lighting…that were used in the shot…to light the green screen or the actor,…but obviously aren't intended to be in the final shot.…
So, we can get rid of these things by use of the Pen tool.…Let's go ahead and select our Layer 1…and switch over to our pencil.…It's always a good idea to go through…and scrub your shot to see what you're up against.…And what I'm looking for is areas where the actor…is reaching kind of extremes, extreme motions.…
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.