Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Isolate elements with different mattes, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Instructor] As we've seen so far in this chapter,…there's more than one way to create layer transparency…for using compositing.…Here, we will use the shot that we previously tackled…with the Roto Brush tool…and instead we'll use another method…to achieve the same result by using a difference matte.…With difference mattes,…we tell After Effects to look at one layer…and compare it with another.…Any place that's different will create transparency.…So here in our shot, we have the same result,…but this time in this foreground layer,…layers two and three,…we're deriving transparency by a difference matte.…
So how do we use this?…Let's start with this composition where it's a clean start…and layer five is our clean background plate.…We're adding in our fire layers…and of course we need to bring back the guy…in our foreground so let's duplicate layer five,…we'll rename this foreground, FG,…and put it just underneath the letterbox there.…So now that we're starting from scratch,…we need to talk about how we can use this difference matte…
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.