Modifying expressions that you did not write is exactly the same procedure as modifying expressions that you did write. The only difference is that you know exactly what an expression is if you wrote it and what you were trying to do. In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to modify an expression you did not create.
- Modifying expressions that you did not write…is exactly the same procedure as…modifying expressions that you did write.…The difference lies in that if you wrote the expression,…then you know exactly what it is that you were trying to do.…So modifying it becomes easier.…I recommend that you create a copy of the expression…as it is, and then comment it out…inside the same expression so that if you need to return…to what you had, what you know worked,…you can easily do so.…
Let's go ahead and open Composition…"1.6 How to modify an expression you did not create."…And you're gonna see that there's a layer here.…Single click on that layer and press the letter "u" twice.…So, u+u, and this is going to give you all of the properties…of the layer that were adjusted from their default value.…Now I'm gonna make this a little bit taller.…And in here you can see that we do have an expression…on the position of that ball.…Let's go ahead and play that timeline.…
If I want to modify that expression,…but I don't know what all of these values do,…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.