Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Extruding 3D text, part of Motion Graphics for Video Editors: Working with Type (2014).
- After Effects has limited abilities to…extrude text in three dimensions.…This can look pretty cool if you do it the right way.…First off, you're going to need to…change your compositions settings.…Under the advanced tab, switch to "Ray Trace 3D"…And click okay.…This allows you to use ray tracing which will be…dependent upon some of your graphics processor power.…Now that you have text, you'll have some additional options.…Under "Geometry", you'll notice the ability to apply bevel…as well as extrusion depth.…
One of the things I like to do before I make this extrusion,…is apply a little bit of color to the text.…Let's set this and change it from white, to a soft gold.…And now, I'll increase the bevel and pull out the extrusion.…As you do this, the text actually…starts to have some real-world depth.…
And you can see there,…the ability to pull it back.…That's looking pretty cool.…Let's adjust the bevel.…Now, when you do this, it really needs some…light to take shape.…So in your scene, start by adding a new light,…
- Designing lower thirds in Photoshop
- Creating alpha channels in Photoshop
- Designing 3D type in Photoshop
- Distressing text
- Creating a watermark
- Animating text with After Effects
- Using and customizing animation presets
- Extruding 3D text in After Effects
- Creating titles in Premiere Pro
- Adding a logo to a lower third
- Linking text
Skill Level Beginner
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Intermediatewith Deke McClelland11h 37m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Creating a Product Endpagewith Ian Robinson1h 50m Intermediate
1. Designing Lower Thirds in Photoshop
2. Designing 3D Type in Photoshop
3. Photoshop Design Techniques
4. Animated Text with After Effects
5. After Effects Design Techniques
6. An Overview of Text in Adobe Premiere Pro
7. Adobe Premiere Pro Design Techniques
8. Linking Workflows for Text with Adobe Video Apps
Live templates2m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.