Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Extract effect, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Instructor] So far in this chapter,…we've seen that we can pull a key based on…the color information of our footage.…We can also derive transparency information…based on the luminance, or pixel brightness, of our image.…In some cases, this technique…offers better results than color keying.…So here, we'll take a look at the Extract effect.…In this composition, I've got a background…of somebody's hands typing away at really nothing.…And so what we want to do is add in…this bit of futuristic interface.…
And so by looking at this background footage,…we can see that it is fairly monochromatic,…there isn't that much in terms of color.…But we do have a lot of pixel brightness information,…so there's a lot of luminance values here…that we can use to our advantage.…One way we can get this interface to go underneath the hands…is by duplicating this background layer.…We'll rename this hands.…And on that hands layer, go to Effect, and you'll see…that under the Keying set of effects, we've got Extract.…
And how the extract works is that it looks at the luminance…
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 52m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.