Sometimes we want for our expressions, especially the wiggle, to be a little more controllable. For example, controlling when in time the expression occurs. In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to accomplish this in Adobe After Effects by the use of control layers, with expression control effects applied to them.
- Sometimes, we want for our expressions,…especially the wiggle, to be a little bit more controllable.…For example, we would like…to gradually start wiggling at two seconds…and gradually stop the wiggle at five seconds.…We can easily accomplish this by the use of control layers…with expression control effects applied to them.…Lets go ahead and open Composition 2.5, Expression Controls.…And here you're gonna see a single layer,…and if we play it you're gonna see…that there's a wiggle applied.…
You can select the layer, press u + u,…and you're going to see that, indeed,…position has a wiggle applied to it.…Now, I would like to control the wiggle a little bit more.…I would like for the wiggle to start happening…at two seconds, last until about five seconds,…and then stop at seven seconds.…I can do this simply by using effects…that are created precisely for that.…If you go to the effects menu,…go to expression controls, you're gonna see…that there is an effect here called slider control.…
There's also point control, later control,…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.