There will be times when you are working with expressions and you need to customize one so it fits your needs. The best way to tweak the expression might be to edit it manually. How do you manually edit an expression? In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to manually edit expressions in Adobe After Effects.
- [Voiceover] Let's go ahead and open the next composition…which is 1.4 Editing Expressions Manually.…In here you're gonna see two layers,…you're gonna see a ball layer and then a doggy layer.…You see that the ball layer already has…some key-frames attached to them.…Let's go ahead and make this layer invisible…and let's make the doggy layer visible.…I will zoom in a little bit more so we can see it better.…Go ahead and select the doggy layer…and press the letter P for position.…In here you're gonna see that there is…an expression already added to this.…
This is the wiggle expression,…now I can click in here…and type anything else I want…or I can just leave it like that.…If we play this, you're gonna see that indeed…it's wiggling the position of this.…Now I can select this and change the magnitude,…that's the second number,…instead of 200 I could have 300…and now it's gonna wiggle a little bit more.…Now let's go ahead and add an expression to the other layer.…
So we make the doggy layer invisible…and the ball layer visible.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.