Join Chris Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video Drawing pen paths, part of After Effects Apprentice: 14 Shape Layers.
- [Instructor] In the previous movie we created…what's referred to as a parametric shape.…We chose from the menu a particular type of shape…such as Rectangle, Rounded Rect, Ellipse, Polygon and Star,…and then in the Timeline panel we can alter…parameters of that shape that we dragged out,…for example, the roundness of the corners…and the relative size of this rectangle.…I'm going to turn this layer off for now, twirl it up,…and we're going to experiment with using…the pen tool to create shapes.…
Since I want to create a brand new shape,…I'm going to make sure that this current shape layer…is not selected, so you can either press F2…to deselect, or just click anywhere in the Timeline panel…and that will deselect your currently selected shape.…I'll go up, choose my Pen tool,…I have my same options for Fill options, Fill Color,…Stroke options, Stroke Color, and Stroke Outline Width,…and now I can just start clicking…and dragging out my shape in the Comp panel…just like you would, say, a mask shape.…
I can go ahead and alter these Bezier handles…
The After Effects Apprentice series was created by Trish and Chris Meyer. These tutorials are designed for After Effects CS4 through CC, and can be used on their own or as a companion to the Meyer's book, After Effects Apprentice.
- Drawing parametric shapes and pen paths
- Creating multiple shape groups
- Exploring Wiggle Paths and the Wiggle Transform effect
- Defining gradient fills
- Creating a swarm
- Blending multiple shapes into a texture
- Crafting and animating dotted and dashed lines
- Combining effects, layer styles, expressions, and the Brainstorm tool with shape layers
- Showing tips for stylizing sidebars
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Drawing Shapes
2. Multiple Shape Paths
Creating compound paths8m 14s
3. Shape Effects
4. Crosshair Exercise
5. Abstract Texture Exercise
6. Map Path Exercise
7. Animated Logo Exercise
8. Ray-Traced 3D and Shapes (CS6 only)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.