Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Distort layers with the Puppet tool, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Of the many ways in After Effects…to distort a layer, the puppet tool offers us direct control…over how we can warp, compress, and stretch a layer.…Here, we'll see how we can art direct the manipulation…of an element using the puppet tools.…So here's our shot, we have an explosion…that goes in slow motion,…and it's this blast here that we're animating…with puppet tools to kind of fake this slow motion move,…and I've got this blast here as a separate layer.…So, we can take a look at this,…and you can see that we're using the puppet tool…to animate just this one still.…
I have part of this as an animation,…and these are 3D rendered blasts,…and so we have multiple frames,…but really, I'm just stealing this one frame right here…in the sequence, creating a still and using that…to distort with my puppet tools.…So, let's examine how to do this.…In our Start Composition, we have our explosion.…Let's go ahead and turn this to auto-resolution…and turn off our motion blur…to increase the interactivity here.…
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 52m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.