A fairly standard video graphic that you will use in almost every type of video project is a lower third. This is a graphic that helps identify the speaker. You can build this in a tool like Adobe Photoshop. In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates how to design the graphic bar for a lower third in Photoshop.
- One of the first things we need to do is…to create the bar for the lower third.…This is the colored background that the text will sit upon…and it helps improve the overall readability.…Oftentimes, this will involve color or texture…that really identify or connect with the project.…To start, let's make a simple bar.…This can be done by taking the rectangular tool here,…the Marquee, and clicking and dragging.…I'm gonna create something that goes edge to edge,…but not quite to the bottom edge of the screen.…
If you draw a selection and decide it's not quite right,…you can choose Select, Transform Selection,…and now easily adjust the size…of the different pieces, like such.…When you press the Return key,…the selection will redraw.…Now, what I'd like to do is add a gradient here…to hold it.…I'm gonna click on the new adjustment layer…or fill layer here and choose Gradient.…
This is gonna bring up a new dialogue…so I can control the shape of the gradient.…Now, you can set a color here, but it's not critical.…The different gradients are typically available…
- Designing lower thirds in Photoshop
- Creating alpha channels in Photoshop
- Designing 3D type in Photoshop
- Distressing text
- Creating a watermark
- Animating text with After Effects
- Using animation presets
- Extruding 3D text in After Effects
- Creating titles in Premiere Pro
- Adding a logo to a lower third
- Using Dynamic Link with text for Premiere Pro and After Effects
Skill Level Beginner
After Effects: Animated Write-on Typewith Ran Ben Avraham1h 34m Intermediate
1. Designing Lower Thirds in Photoshop
2. Designing 3D Type in Photoshop
3. Photoshop Design Techniques
4. Animated Text with After Effects
5. After Effects Design Techniques
6. Overview of Text in Adobe Premiere Pro
7. Linking Workflows for Text with Adobe Video Apps
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.