Delaying layers is necessary for many animations. This is when one layer does what the other one is doing, but it does it after a predetermined amount of frames. What is an expression that can do this? In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to delay a layer in an Adobe After Effects composition with the expression framesToTime.
- Delaying layers is necessary for many animations.…This is when one layer does what the other one is doing,…but it does it at a pre-determined amount…of frames behind it.…For this, we will use the frames to time expression.…Go ahead and open composition 5.2, Delay.…As you can see, we have a drop-in here…in the middle of the screen.…Let's go ahead and add some keyframes…so that it animates from top to bottom.…So let's animate it from outside of the screen,…at about five seconds or so.…
Let's go ahead and scrub these values…until it goes to the bottom of the screen.…And now we're gonna make this accelerate…as it comes down.…So select your keyframes,…and add an easy ease, so that's F9,…and now I'm gonna go to the graph editor…and I'll bring this speed curve up,…and maybe a little bit more in,…so something like this,…so that when the drop falls,…it actually accelerates.…Let's make it accelerate a little bit more.…
And I think that's good.…Let me adjust that curve.…Perfect.…Alright, so now that we have our keyframes,…let's go ahead and add an expression.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.