In this video, learn how masks and feathering are used to control the animation of the lighting blast.
- [Instructor] Now we have to look at masks,…and now we can use masks to control…the visible animation that we see.…So before I want to do that,…let's go outside of the main work comp,…it'll be easier if we just deal with one layer,…so let's go to 060 robots two,…and we can collapse that twirler if it's out.…If you don't see it, then just double click…on the robots two and the project file.…And here we are, so be sure that you select…the layer that you want to mask,…and then select the rectangle tool.…
And now we can draw...…A mask, that's showing us the area that we want to see.…Be sure that the mask is set to add,…if you make it subtract then it does the opposite,…and also if it's inverted it does the opposite,…so a bit of overkill, but you can do either.…So what if you want to change the shape,…from a rectangle to something more uneven,…so let's choose the selection tool,…and we just grab it now and move it around…the camera to do much.…So what we can do is click off of the tool,…and as you can see now the shapes…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
- Importing Animate scenes in After Effects comps
- Duplicating comps
- Nesting comps
- Adjusting colors and lighting
- Creating masks
- Adding special effects: fog, motion blur, distortion, glow, and more
- Creating 3D environments
- Animating cameras in a 3D scene
- Rendering and finalizing the After Effects project
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
2D Animation: Walk Cycles Basicswith Dermot O' Connor57m 24s Intermediate
2D Animation: Character & Attitude Walk Cycleswith Dermot O' Connor57m 13s Intermediate
1. Assembling the Scene
2. Filters and Effects
3. 3D Scenes
4. Final Touches
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.