A fairly standard video graphic that you will use in almost every type of video project is a lower third. This is a graphic that helps identify the speaker. You can build this in a tool like Adobe Photoshop. In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates how to create an alpha channel for a lower third in Photoshop.
- Once you have a lower third designed,…it's not a bad idea to store the transparency information…so it's broadly compatible…with non-linear video editing tools.…This is often done with an alpha channel.…Now, as we look at the graphic here,…you can clearly see that there's transparency information…by the Photoshop grid…but not all tools will recognize that.…One method that people might employ…is File, Export,…Quick Export as PNG.…
This will allow you to save out the file…with transparency data.…If we go to an application like After Effects…and import that in,…you should notice that it comes in with transparency.…Let's drop that into the composition,…zoom out a little bit…and look at that over the transparency grid…and you see that the transparency did indeed come through.…But some folks like to avoid PNG files…because they have compression applied…and it might lead to slight artifacts.…
So, instead you can use a higher quality file…but also store the transparency information.…To do this, you're going to want to create…
- Designing lower thirds in Photoshop
- Creating alpha channels in Photoshop
- Designing 3D type in Photoshop
- Distressing text
- Creating a watermark
- Animating text with After Effects
- Using animation presets
- Extruding 3D text in After Effects
- Creating titles in Premiere Pro
- Adding a logo to a lower third
- Using Dynamic Link with text for Premiere Pro and After Effects
Skill Level Beginner
After Effects: Animated Write-on Typewith Ran Ben Avraham1h 34m Intermediate
1. Designing Lower Thirds in Photoshop
2. Designing 3D Type in Photoshop
3. Photoshop Design Techniques
4. Animated Text with After Effects
5. After Effects Design Techniques
6. Overview of Text in Adobe Premiere Pro
7. Linking Workflows for Text with Adobe Video Apps
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.