Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Create a track matte, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Narrator] After Effects allows you to reference…another layer's transparency or pixel brightness…to control what is visible.…A layer that controls another layer's visibility in this way…is called a track matte, and we'll examine some of that…here in this movie.…So here, in this example, I've got a text layer…that has its own built-in transparency.…Everything inside the letters is opaque.…Everything outside is transparent.…On top of that I have a gradient,…which has transparency as well.…If I scale this down you see that…everything outside the box is transparent.…
Everything inside is opaque.…So we can use this information to…create what's called a track matte.…Track mattes work in pairs.…The layer that's going to be doing the…borrowing of information, the borrowing of…transparency or pixel brightness information…is on the bottom, and the layer that is…providing that information is on top,…and that's the track matte.…So if you don't already have it enabled,…go ahead and click on this button here,…and that will toggle the track matte column,…
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.