Join Chris Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video Convert type to shape layers, part of After Effects Apprentice: 14 Shape Layers.
- [Instructor] There's one last trick…we'd like to show you with shape layers…and that's converting text to shape layers.…If you have access to the CC version of exercise files,…open up the comp, CT, convert text starter.…If you don't have access to these files…just go ahead and create any word…using the normal text tool in After Effects.…What we have is this word against some…interesting slow motion water and we wish…it was more interesting as if maybe the text itself…was drifting or somehow animating…along with the movement in the water.…
Well we can do that using shape layers.…I'm going to select my text layer…and open up just for curiosity the character panel…and note that it has both a fill and a stroke.…I'll go to the Layer menu and near the bottom…we have a couple of choices.…Create Masks from Text, this will create a solid…with masks that match the outline of the characters…or of more interest to us create shapes from text.…When I select that menu item my original text layer…has been turned off and it's been replaced…
The After Effects Apprentice series was created by Trish and Chris Meyer. These tutorials are designed for After Effects CS4 through CC, and can be used on their own or as a companion to the Meyer's book, After Effects Apprentice.
- Drawing parametric shapes and pen paths
- Creating multiple shape groups
- Exploring Wiggle Paths and the Wiggle Transform effect
- Defining gradient fills
- Creating a swarm
- Blending multiple shapes into a texture
- Crafting and animating dotted and dashed lines
- Combining effects, layer styles, expressions, and the Brainstorm tool with shape layers
- Showing tips for stylizing sidebars
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Drawing Shapes
2. Multiple Shape Paths
Creating compound paths8m 14s
3. Shape Effects
4. Crosshair Exercise
5. Abstract Texture Exercise
6. Map Path Exercise
7. Animated Logo Exercise
8. Ray-Traced 3D and Shapes (CS6 only)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.