When you adjust an expression, you may want to be able to control minimum and maximum values for it. This is the equivalent of telling the expression not to go to a smaller value than this or a larger value than this. In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to set the minimum and maximum values for an expression in Adobe After Effects.
- Even when we add a wiggle,…it would be nice to be able to control minimum…and maximum values for an expression.…This is the equivalent of telling the expression…not to go to a smaller value than this,…or a larger value than that.…Let's try it.…Let's go ahead and open Composition 3.4,…Control minimum and maximum return values.…In here you're gonna see the same orange square…that we had before.…Let's go ahead and add an expression…to the scale of the square.…
So S for Scale, press and hold Alter Option,…click on the Stopwatch, and there you have it.…Now we wanna make sure that this doesn't go any smaller…than 50%, the scale that it has right now, or 150%,…so we want to clamp these values to minus 50, and plus 50.…Let's go ahead and do that.…Let's write our variables A, space equals space B,…space equals space and C, space equals space.…
And now we're gonna write this a little bit differently.…A is gonna be a wiggle, and one comma 300 right?…Now, to this whatever it is,…we're gonna subtract the value.…Which value?…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice 09: Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.