Sometimes it is necessary to write notes for yourself or others within the expression. You might want to explain what a particular property does or remind yourself of something. How do you add a comment in an expression? In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to add a comment to an expression in Adobe After Effects.
- Sometimes it is necessary to write notes…for yourself or others within the expression,…maybe to explain what a particular property does,…or maybe to remind yourself of something.…If this is the case,…your best bet is to write a human comment…in the language of the expression.…Let's go through that.…Go ahead and open Composition 1.3.…And here you will see that we have two different layers.…One is a dimmer and one is a lightbulb.…If you play the timeline,…you see that as the dimmer rotates to the left,…the lightbulb just dims.…
And we have an expression.…If I wanted to write a comment on that expression,…all I need to do is write //…and then type whatever it is that I want.…That // is going to tell the expression…that this is not code,…that this is a human comment.…So I'm just gonna write something like…and there you go.…So you will see that if I click outside of this,…it still works.…The expression still works…because it is totally ignoring that text.…
Now, if I wanted for the text,…I'm gonna make this a little bit taller,…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.