In this video, explore how layers are linked to one another via a child-parent chain.
- A very useful technique in after effects,…is the ability to child-parent layers.…And what this means is…that you can attach one layer to another layer,…and it will inherit all the properties of the parent layer.…So, let me show you what this looks like,…and why it might save you some time.…So in this part, we've got our three flying saucers,…and actually I think I will just,…I think we have all the effects off,…and just want to make sure we're not loading this up…with a lot of render-heavy stuff.…
So the three flying saucers zip across the screen.…And what I want to do is to add a fourth.…So, what if I don't want to bother…adding all these extra animation details?…So let's make a new layer.…I'm gonna take this,…actually what I'll do, I'll go into the project panel,…go into our comps,…and I will, or into the swf folder, rather.…Find the saucer.…Drag it down here.…
And the pivot's in the wrong place,…so I hit Y to re-pivot.…I'm going to just hit S to scale it down.…It's gonna be pretty far in the background.…A little bit behind in the back.…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
- Importing Animate scenes in After Effects comps
- Duplicating comps
- Nesting comps
- Adjusting colors and lighting
- Creating masks
- Adding special effects: fog, motion blur, distortion, glow, and more
- Creating 3D environments
- Animating cameras in a 3D scene
- Rendering and finalizing the After Effects project
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
2D Animation: Walk Cycles Basicswith Dermot O' Connor57m 24s Intermediate
2D Animation: Character & Attitude Walk Cycleswith Dermot O' Connor57m 13s Intermediate
1. Assembling the Scene
2. Filters and Effects
3. 3D Scenes
4. Final Touches
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.