Join Owen Lowery for an in-depth discussion in this video Characteristics of hand-drawn animation, part of Creating a Handmade Look in After Effects: 2 Design and Animation.
- As always, before we start creating, we want to consider…the limitations of the style that we're designing in.…So let's think back to cheaply produced…Saturday morning cartoons, the repeating backgrounds…and hand drawn characters with kind of wobbly edges.…Let's think about flip book cartoons sketched…into the pages of textbooks.…The pen would run out of ink or leak too much.…Sometimes a few pages stuck together…and the animation jumped.…Those flip books were really, really rough,…but they were also awesome.…
These hand drawn imperfections…are the exact characteristics we want to emulate.…This human error adds something very…important to an animation that doesn't come as a plug in,…and that's nostalgia.…If we can make our simulated hand drawn animation…look just bad enough, it'll feel really good to watch.…
Want to create another lo-fi mograph effect? Check out Creating a Handmade Look in After Effects 01: Paper Cutout and Stop Motion Styles.
- Using the Pen tool to create hand-drawn shapes
- Animating shape layers to look drawn on
- Giving a wiggle to drawn elements
- Customizing and animating handwritten fonts
- Looping animation with expressions
- Using the Paintbrush tool to create animated painted lines
- Adding texture to lines
- Creating write-on type