If you connect two different properties using an expression, you may find that even after you change the value of an expression by multiplying by minus 1, the expression still does not do what you need it to do. In this movie, author Luisa Winters walks you through how to change the value of an expression.
- The wiggle expression is perhaps the one that I use…the most in After Effects.…Wiggle will give you random values for a particular property…based on two parameters.…Frequency and magnitude.…Frequency is how many times per second…you would like for the values to change,…and magnitude is how much you would like…for the values to change.…So how often, and how much.…Let's go ahead and open composition 2.2,…changing the value of an expression.…
In here you're going to see two layers.…A column and a needle.…Let's go ahead and center this a little bit better.…I can select both of these and press U U…to see if there are any key frames.…And I don't see any so we're good.…If I scroll up the timeline you see…that nothing is happening.…Now, what I want to happen is that as the needle moves up,…I want the position of the needle to dictate…the height of the column.…
So as the needle moves up, the column will get taller.…As the needle moves down, the column will get shorter.…So let's go ahead and figure out how we're going to do that.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice 09: Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.