Accessibility is a major web topic and making video accessible is a must-have skill. In this exercise, discover how to apply captions to a video and the structure of the VTT file that adds the captions to the video.
- [Instructor] When it comes to the web,…accessibility is no longer a nice-to-have feature…but a must-have feature.…For example, if you pop over to this course…by Derek Featherstone here at Lynda.com,…which deals with the subject of accessibility,…you'll see that there is a transcript below the video.…And what this transcript does…is follow along with what Derek says and highlights it.…Now, I'll just give you a…quick look at what I'm talking about here.…So, if I click play--…- [Derek] Earlier in the course,…I shared five personas with you.…
One of them was Sean.…He's 31 years old,…does all his shopping online, and has low vision.…- [Instructor] Transcripts are one of the ways…of actually dealing with…accessibility for video.…It is there to meet the needs of blind people…who use screen readers,…or are hard of hearing users.…The other technique that we can use with video…is the closed-captioning.…And if I come over to here,…and you can see that…the captions display at the bottom of a video.…
If I click the play button--…
- Key video formats used to publish on the web
- Encoding video that's optimized for online delivery
- HTML5 native video embedding and interaction
- Styling video components with CSS
- Captioning video
- Preparing video for social media
- Using Dynamic Link
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: HTML Background Videowith Chris Converse28m 35s Intermediate
Web Video: Develop Your Video Presencewith Rick Allen Lippert41m 54s Intermediate
Web Video: Makeup Techniqueswith Rick Allen Lippert25m 47s Intermediate
Exercise files1m 11s
1. Web Video Formats
2. Encoding Video
3. HTML5 and Video
4. Video and CSS
5. Playing with Video
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.