Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Building custom EBU-safe titles in Photoshop, part of Motion Graphics for Video Editors: Terms and Technology.
- When you choose a template in Adobe Photoshop,…it attempts to help you by showing the safe title areas.…Remember, with video, you have two zones…you're concerned about.…The action safe area is the zone that all elements…that need to be seen on the television, fall.…So if you have a graphic element…that you want to make sure might not…get cut off by the edge of the TV bezel,…make sure it falls in action safe.…Now, we still design edge to edge,…but that slight edge is often referred…to as bleed, in print terms.…
With text, we inset the text a bit further,…much like how you have margins in a book.…This is the title safe area.…Now the templates in Photoshop…provide these for you automatically,…but their values are actually wrong.…Let's choose a preset like HDTV, and I'll click OK.…Now, it's trying to help you here…by showing you the guides for the individual area.…The challenge is that these guides…are more conservative than you need to be.…
Previously, it was recommended…that the action safe zone was 90% of the image…
- When to use vector vs. raster graphics
- Working with high-dynamic-range images
- Choosing the right color space
- Understanding file extensions and file formats
- Maintaining broadcast-safe color and luminance levels
- Configuring Photoshop and Illustrator workspaces and preferences
- Using templates
- Building titles
- Sizing photos or logos
- Saving Photoshop and Illustrator files for video graphics
Skill Level Beginner
Mograph Techniques: Creating a Product Endpagewith Ian Robinson1h 50m Intermediate
After Effects CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson14h 52m Appropriate for all
Mograph Techniques: Animating to Musicwith Ian Robinson1h 5m Intermediate
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
1. Core Technology for Video Graphics
2. Broadcast-Safe Issues
3. Setting Up Photoshop for a Video Workflow
4. Setting Up Illustrator for a Video Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.