When the video element arrived in HTML5, the big questions was: "What format to use?" The W3C left that up to the browser manufacturers and that is why we have to create up to three different versions of a video.
- [Instructor] One of the keys…to designing web video experiences is consistency,…and there is not a lot of consistency out there…when it comes to web video and that means…that we're gonna have to take a look at how we got here,…and that's where we are today.…It starts with the introduction of the new video element,…which the W3C dropped into the laps of the browser vendors,…Apple, Microsoft, Google, Mozilla, and Opera.…As expected, there was a standoff over…what would be the baseline standard codec.…
The contention was over one that was royalty-free…or one that was not.…Royalty-free is a well-established principle…for the W3C standard.…It was suggested Ogg Theora/Vorbis…become the baseline video format.…The W3C had no real objections to this…because well, it tries to issue only recommendations…that can be implemented on a royalty-free basis.…And Opera, being all about royalty-free,…was among the first to adopt it.…
The first standard chosen by the W3C, Ogg Theora from Opera,…disappeared even before the ink had dried…
- Key video formats used to publish on the web
- Encoding video that's optimized for online delivery
- HTML5 native video embedding and interaction
- Styling video components with CSS
- Captioning video
- Preparing video for social media
- Using Dynamic Link
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: HTML Background Videowith Chris Converse28m 35s Beginner
Web Video: Develop Your Video Presencewith Rick Allen Lippert41m 54s Appropriate for all
Web Video: Makeup Techniqueswith Rick Allen Lippert25m 47s Appropriate for all
Exercise files1m 11s
1. Web Video Formats
2. Encoding Video
3. HTML5 and Video
4. Video and CSS
5. Playing with Video
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.