Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Blending modes for layers, part of After Effects CC 2017 Essential Training: Motion Graphics.
- [Instructor] After Effects allows one layer's pixels…to interact with the layers below it…using the color and the brightness of the pixels…and then combining them mathematically.…These are called blending modes.…These blending modes can often lighten or darken…or add or subtract contrast to the overall image.…They have a wide range of uses in motion graphics,…including being able to stylize images…or adding a layer of texture that can easily alter…the mood and feel of our imagery.…So here in this first example,…I've got two instances of this picture of woods,…and with blending modes,…they are mathematically altering or adding and subtracting,…basically doing some behind the scenes wizardry…that enables the pixels to interact with each other.…
And so if you don't already have it,…go ahead, right click here, and under columns, enable modes,…and that will get you to the list of modes here.…You can see the dropdown list is pretty extensive here.…You can also find the blending modes…over here under layer, blending mode.…
- Working with shape layers, animation, compositing, and type
- Using Basic After Effects 3D
- Building a basic camera rig
- Using the Cinema 4D renderer
- Using Cinema 4D Lite
- Creating 3D text and 3D geometry
- Adding compositions to the Render Queue
- Recording multiple files with the Render Queue
- Using Adobe Media Encoder
- Using prerenders
- Collapsing transformations
Skill Level Beginner
1. Working with Shape Layers
2. Working with Animation
3. Working with Compositing
4. Working with Type
5. Basic After Effects 3D
6. 3D Geometry
7. Rendering for Motion Graphics
Using prerenders6m 34s
8. Motion Graphic Workflow Tips
Collapse transformations7m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.