In this video, explore how film grain gives the finished animation a cinematic feeling.
- [Instructor] Probably the last thing…that you should consider doing…when you are creating your scenes in After Effects…is the application of film grain,…simply because it slows down the system so much.…It's a real hog.…So obviously, you wouldn't want to be doing it upfront.…So the other thing to note too is that…you're really gonna want to apply it to your nested comp,…in other words, the final scene that you're going to export.…You can maybe export it or apply it at that level.…So let's see how we apply it and what it's gonna look like.…
So let's first play through the scene,…we're at a quarter res quality now.…And as you can see, it plays through reasonably,…considering all the material going on in the background,…you know, it's slowly getting there.…So let's apply a grain.…So in effects, we can type in grain,…or we can just go to noise and grain, down here.…And I'm going to add grain,…just drag and drop onto the stage.…And this little white box is showing you the area…that's going to be giving you the preview.…
AuthorDermot O' Connor
- Importing Animate scenes in After Effects comps
- Duplicating comps
- Nesting comps
- Adjusting colors and lighting
- Creating masks
- Adding special effects: fog, motion blur, distortion, glow, and more
- Creating 3D environments
- Animating cameras in a 3D scene
- Rendering and finalizing the After Effects project
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning 2D Animation Principleswith Dermot O' Connor2h 25m Beginner
2D Animation: Character & Attitude Walk Cycleswith Dermot O' Connor57m 13s Appropriate for all
2D Animation: Walk Cycles Basicswith Dermot O' Connor57m 24s Appropriate for all
1. Assembling the Scene
2. Filters and Effects
3. 3D Scenes
4. Final Touches
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.