Join Chris Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating position, part of After Effects Apprentice: 02 Basic Animation.
- [Instructor] Now that we know how to edit values,…let's make an animation.…The first thing I'll do is turn off the Rulers…in the Comp panel just to tidy things up.…I can also simplify the timeline…by not displaying all of the Transformation properties.…For instance, since I only want to animate…Position right now, I can press p for Position.…The first letter of each transformation name…is its shortcut.…For instance, press a for Anchor Point, p for Position,…s for Scale and r for Rotation.…
The odd one out is Opacity.…O is the shortcut to jump to the out point…so pressing o will jump to the out point of the layer…and i will jump to the in point.…The shortcut for Opacity is t.…You can think of it as t for Transparency.…I like to think of it as t as in Opacity.…Now, you might want to see more…than just one property at a time.…So if I press p for Position and i also want to see Scale,…I add the Shift key and go Shift s.…
If I want to see Opacity, Shift t.…The Shift key also subtracts so Shift t subtracts Opacity,…
After Effects Apprentice is created by Trish and Chris Meyer and designed to be used on their own and as a companion to their book After Effects Apprentice.
- Starting a project from scratch
- Building a composition
- Arranging and transforming layers interactively and numerically
- Animating parameters including motion paths
- Applying and re-using effects
- Creating variations and rendering the final movie
- Importing layered Photoshop files
- Understanding alpha channels
- Avoiding common mistakes
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/09/2012. What changed?
A: We added new movies on using the exercise files that come with this course, and working with the Global Performance Cache in After Effects CS6. We have also added exercise files designed for After Effects CS6.
Q: This course was updated on 11/07/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay up to date with the latest changes in After Effects CC.