In this video, see a brief show and tell of how AE is used in animation using looping GIFs and videos as examples.
- [Instructor] Because After Effects is so widely used in animation and motion graphics, you'll find no shortage of really good examples across the internet. This one is from a studio called oddfellows, and the piece is called Flight School, done for Twitter. Inside this piece we have some really cool transitions and our eyes being led by this paper airplane flying through some character animation of two ladies. We have some hand animation here as well. It's a really well done piece. When I find animation that resonates with me, I find it's often helpful to study it frame by frame and decipher what's going on. And in this case since this video's hosted on Vimeo, we're able to go through frame by frame. You can just hold down Shift on your keyboard and left or right arrow to go through frame by frame. And you can see this woman she's pulling down the screen and we got this nice little hair jiggle right there. So that's a great way to breakdown and analyze a given movie. Instagram is also a great source for inspiration and examples. This one is from Emanuele Colombo, and what I love about this piece is that it's a real fluid motion and all that animation is done in After Effects. What you'll find on Instagram is oftentimes a lot of this content is loopable, making it really easy to reference and study. Another great thing about Instagram is that artists often post process videos showing us behind the scenes of how a scene was made. In this case we get a glimpse of the graph editor and see the different complexities behind this Happy Easter animation. And lastly, this example for Angry Birds, shows some advanced level use of After Effects. The entire movie's a must watch but here for these rig examples you can get a sense of how far the artist pushed After Effects with its technical capabilities to really provide the animators with full control to create all kinds of expression with these Angry Birds. From large studios to individual artists, After Effects is used by many to bring characters to life, ranging from simple to complex. And these examples should give you an idea of what's possible inside of After Effects.
- Shape layers and masks
- Track mattes
- Rigging characters
- Using the Puppet tool for rigging
- Adding and adjusting keyframes
- Looping animation
- Animating with motion paths and motion sketch
- Adding cameras for multiplane environments
- Lighting animation
- Rendering animation