This is a project-based learning experience. Each step of the process is rich with object lessons that are applicable to the variations that a motion design and compositing artist will face in the real world.
- Creating a sphere
- Adding reflections and color correction
- Creating squash and stretch animation
- Expression linking a sphere's rotation properties
- Connecting a sphere to a position null
- The bounce-decay-stop expression
- Animating the position and rotation
- Animating the sphere color map
- Creating an automated shadow
Skill Level Advanced
- Hey good folks. My name Ran Ben Avraham. I'll tell you about the story behind this sphere. I was asked to create a series of 15 short video ads for the local Tax Authority. Now this is a very bureaucratic and clerical government office. They don't work with an adverting agency or anything of that sort. The briefs I got for those videos were basically a very long and extremely boring bureaucratic text with no graphics or visual assets of any sort other than their logo. So I placed their logo on a 3D sphere and I had supporting text and visuals popping out of it, appearing on it, behind it, through it, and so on.
The only assets I had at my disposal were their logo and my imagination. They loved it. In this course, I'll be covering the technical aspect of creating and animating this 3D sphere in After Effects. During the course, I'll display for you my creative workflow along side various techniques and tricks all designed to produce the easiest way of animating the short motion graphics video. I'll be covering the creation of the sphere, animating it's squash and stretch animation, as well as automating this animation.
I'll touch on expressions and how to use them to reduce our key framing work from dozens of layers and effects nested in different comps into one single master comp in which all our key framing work will take place. But other than the technical side of this, I hope you will find some inspiration in my little tax authority sphere story. This is the English version to one of the video ads. (upbeat music)