Now that you understand how expressions work and how they affect animation, it is time to add them to an animation element. How do you add an expression in Adobe After Effects? In this movie, author Luisa Winters walks you through the process of adding expressions to your Adobe After Effects project.
- [Instructor] Let's go ahead and open…composition 1.2 adding expressions.…In here, you're gonna see a drone graphic…and you are going to see the different layers of the drone…right here in the timeline.…We are going to add an expression to the rotation…of the top left propeller.…That is this layer right here called top left prop.…So select it, click on it,…and then press the letter R for rotation.…
To add the expression, we could click on the word rotation…and then go to the menu Animation, and then Add Expression,…or you could use the shortcut alt shift equal,…but much easier if we just press and hold…the alt key on Windows or the option key on the Mac,…and then click on the stop watch to the left…of the word rotation.…What happens is that now our numbers,…our value numbers turn red indicating…that we are no longer in control of those values,…the expression is,…and we also see a place where we can type the code…let's go ahead and add a wiggle expression.…
So type the word wiggle, open parenthesis,…and type two comma 90 and close the parenthesis.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice 09: Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.