Explore an overview of one of the more unknown video formats, 3GP, which has a very specific use case yet has very broad uses. The interesting aspect of the 3GP format is it is closely related to its MP4 counterpart.
- [Instructor] In this video,…we're going to talk about a rather obscure format…that you may come across,…and that is the 3GP format.…You may have encountered 3GP video extensions and wondered,…why is that?…The best way of thinking about it is…as a version of the MP4 standard…that kicks out relatively small video file sizes.…This then begs the question,…then why the MP4 standard?…Developed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project,…3GP is a version of MP4 compression,…but there was a major difference between the two.…
3GP was engineered for mobile phones…to connect to a 3G network either directly or through wi-fi.…This means that even though most MP4 files…are practically universal,…you need to be aware they are not optimized…for mobile playback on 3G networks.…If you are using a phone on a 3G network…and try to play an MP4 video,…the odds are pretty good your phone will have a stroke.…Even so, 3G is available in over 93 countries on the planet…and can be played on very low-end smartphones.…
This is not to say 3GP files are evil.…
- Key video formats used to publish on the web
- Encoding video that's optimized for online delivery
- HTML5 native video embedding and interaction
- Styling video components with CSS
- Captioning video
- Preparing video for social media
- Using Dynamic Link
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: HTML Background Videowith Chris Converse28m 35s Intermediate
Web Video: Develop Your Video Presencewith Rick Allen Lippert41m 54s Intermediate
Web Video: Makeup Techniqueswith Rick Allen Lippert25m 47s Intermediate
Exercise files1m 11s
1. Web Video Formats
2. Encoding Video
3. HTML5 and Video
4. Video and CSS
5. Playing with Video
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.