Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Freehand Selection tool, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- Affinity Photo features a wide range of selection tools, and we'll look at them in turn. We're going to make selections on this window, so let's start by zooming in on this image, and we can do this by holding command and the space bar. We can drag to get it the size we want. Release the command key, and with just the space bar we can now pan it to get it in the position that we want.
So, the first tool we're going to look at is the Freehand Selection tool. The shortcut for this is, rather surprisingly, L, and that's because it's also called the Lasso tool in other applications, and you'll find it nested beneath the other Marquee tools in the Toolbar. The Lasso tool traces a freehand shape as you drag it, and you can see that the beginning and the end of the shape are always joined by this straight line.
When you release the mouse button, that now becomes your selection. So, while this is quite a good tool for tracing irregular shapes, we could for instance use it for drawing around this foliage, it's not a good tool for drawing straight lines unless you hold down the shift key. And with the shift key down, it will now trace straight lines between points where you click. So we can click once on each corner here and when we release the mouse button that now becomes our selection.
Lasso tool is a tricky tool for making basic selections since it relies very much on your hand-eye coordination as you're dragging it, but it's useful for modifying other selections, as we'll see later.
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.