Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Black & White adjustment, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- We can use adjustment layers to turn an image to black and white. Now you might think the standard way of changing an image to black and white would be simply to go to Document, Color Format, and change it from RGB into Greyscale. And there it is in greyscale except it's an all or nothing effect. It gives you no control over the way the conversion takes place. Let's undo that.
A better method is to do this as always with the adjustment layer. So we'll go to Layer, New Adjustment Layer, and we'll choose Black & White Adjustment. And here it is. It's given us quite a bright image. And in fact the skin has come out much too bright. Well we know that the skin is going to be mainly made up of red. So we can go on to the red slider and we can drag that. And as we drag it to the left, that is now darkening up.
Now what color though was this dress? It started off blue but we're not sure what color it ended up. We could go for the color picker. Click on that color by clicking on the dress. And we can start to drag and as we drag, we can see it's that cyan slider that's moving. So we could say make the dress just darker by itself. And that's quite a good effect. It tones it down, it blends it in more effectively into the image.
We could maybe go onto the hair again using the picker. And we could make the hair brighter or darker. And of course when we do this, it's having some effect on the skin as well because colors in the hair are very similar to colors in the skin. But overall, this gives us very much more control. By using these sliders, we're able to adjust the total range of this black and white image with much more control than if we simply changed the whole image to greyscale.
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.