Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Round selections with Elliptical Marquee, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- As well as the Rectangular Marquee, we also have the Elliptical Marquee, and you can select this either by pressing M again on your keyboard and that will cycle through the four different types of Marquee, or you can choose it from the Toolbar. If we want to select the inside of this curve here, we can use the Elliptical Marquee just like the Rectangular Marquee to draw from corner to corner. But the trouble is it's very hard to see where the corner is on an ellipse.
And so, it's hard to get it exactly right. So, here's a simple solution. Press Q on the keyboard to go into Quick Mask mode, and now if you change to the Move tool, you could now pick this up and you can scale it and adjust it so it picks the shape you want. And like this, it's a fairly good fit for the inside of this curve.
Press Q again to leave Quick Mask, and there's our selection. As before, we can limit this selection. So we could choose the Rectangular Marquee again, hold down the option key to subtract from our selection, and take out the bottom of this. Then switch to the Freehand Selection tool, the shortcut is L, hold down the option key to subtract from our selection again, and add the shift key to draw straight lines.
And we'll do the same on this side. Option key first, then the shift key, and there is our selection of the interior part of this archway.
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.