Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Making a layer mask, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- Here we are back to our balcony scene again and there…is the selection that we made earlier in this chapter.…To get rid of these windows so we can see through them…well as we saw, we could just press the delete key.…But the trouble with doing this is pressing the delete key…is an irrevocable step.…Once it's gone we can get it back immediately…by just choosing Undo,…but in an hour's time or tomorrow…or next month, we won't be able to get that back.…
Here's a better method, we can go to the Layer menu…and choose to make a New Mask Layer.…And let's Deselect.…Now with a mask, everywhere that's black on the mask…is hidden,…everywhere that's white on the mask is visible.…It works very much like Quick Mask…that we looked at earlier.…You can see an obvious problem here,…the windows are visible, the rest of the building is hidden…and we want precisely the opposite.…
And the reason it's like this is because…it's the windows that were selected when we made the mask.…Let's select the mask and we can swap over…black to white, white to black…
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.