Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Making automatic selections by tone and color, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- As well as making manual selections,…we can make selections automatically,…but it is not as simple as you might think.…We could go to the Select menu,…and for example, Select the Blues…since, of course, this is a largely blue sky.…And when we do so, we can see,…actually, yes, the sky has been quite well selected.…But when we zoom in,…we can see that much of this tree trunk…has also been selected,…as has most of this tree in its entirety.…
Similarly, you might think…that if we want to select all the foliage,…we can just go to Select,…Colour Range and Greens,…but in fact, it's only the trees at the top…that are really Green.…All this grass in the front has much more Red in it.…Because there is no way of setting the tolerance…of these selections,…you can only select pure Red,…Blue or Green that way.…Let's Deselect.…We could try Selecting by the Tonal Range.…
Here we can Select Midtones, Shadows and Highlights,…and in this case, the Highlights is what we want.…And now, well, all of this sky…in the middle has been selected.…
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.