Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Expanding and outlining selections, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- There are other ways in which…we can modify our selections.…So, with this pane of glass selected,…we can go to the Select menu,…and we could choose Grow and Shrink.…Here we get this slider.…We can drag it to the left to make the selection smaller,…and we can drag it to the right to make it larger.…Now, because a small amount of dragging…produces a very large effect,…it's very hard to do this accurately while dragging.…So, let's set this back to zero.…
If we click in this numerical field,…we could use the up and down cursor keys…on our keyboard to increase and decrease this…by one pixel at a time.…For bigger jumps,…hold the Shift key down…and then it increases by ten pixels at a time.…So, with a combination of the Shift key…and releasing it for fine-tuning,…we're able to make this bigger,…so we can select the woodwork around this pane.…Let's cancel that.…
Suppose you want to select just the wood…and not the glass at all.…This time, we need to go to the Select menu…and choose Outline.…And with Outline it selects a border around the edge.…
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.