Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting shadows and highlights, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- We've used the leveled adjustment to brighten up…and strengthen this image.…But I'm concerned that some parts of it, particularly her…hair, are rather too dark.…We can fix that using a different adjustment.…We'll go to the Layer menu.…Choose New Adjustment Layer, and we'll look at…Shadows and Highlights.…Here, we can brighten up the shadows…by dragging this slider.…
And you can see that as we drag it, it does in fact…make the shadows brighter without effecting…the mid-tones or the highlights.…If you drag it too far, then you get this…very artificial look.…So it's a question of balancing this once again.…You have to drag it so that you get the effect…you want without overdoing it.…Here for instance, we've brought out strong color…in her hair, which was missing before.…We could also darken the highlights.…
Or if you wanted to, we could brighten just the highlights.…Let's make those a little bit brighter.…And we can close this dialogue.…As this is a separate layer, we could adjust…the opacity of it.…If we think that's too strong, well we could just lower…
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.