Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding lighting, part of Affinity Photo Essential Training.
- I think we're going to enhance this image even more by turning on this light directly behind our guitarist. Let's move to the top, and we'll make a new lighting layer. We looked at this in some detail in Chapter 6. Let's go to Layer, New Live Filter Layer, and we'll choose the Lighting Filter down at the bottom. The default is for a spotlight. Let's change it to a point light. We'll move the center of it over our lamp, reduce the distance to make it smaller, and let's brighten it up by increasing the specular value of the light.
We'll put that all the way up to maximum. If we make it shinier, that will also give us some more glow around it. And let's reduce the distance very slightly to make it even smaller. Now, one thing about the lighting filter is it doesn't just add light, but it adds shadow as well, and this is making the background rather too dark. We can fix that by increasing the ambient light, in other words, the light in the room that's not coming from this light, and that brightens up everything else.
And around about there I think looks good. Once again, because this is a live filter, we can always change our minds later.
- Using Affinity Photo's raw controls
- Applying lens correction
- Removing chromatic aberration and fringing
- Reducing noise and sharpening photos
- Making and modifying selections in Affinity Photo
- Creating layer masks
- Making global adjustments
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Enhancing color
- Converting to black and white
- Applying standard and live filters
- Creating photomontages in Affinity Photo
- Working with image stacks
- Distorting images
- Exporting photos from Affinity Photo
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using the Raw Controls
2. Using Selection Tools
3. Advanced Selection Tools
4. Using Adjustments
5. Working with Filters
6. Creating Photomontages
7. Distortion and Special Effects
Distorting with Mesh Warp2m 18s
8. Text and Graphics
9. Exporting Images
Using the Export Persona2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.