Learn the various selection methods and how they can be utilized in the pixel persona.
- [Instructor] Welcome to this section…on refining your pixel selection.…One of the hardest things to deal with…is making an extraction of an image…that has hair detail.…And so in this video, I'm going to show how you can use…the tools in Affinity Designer…to extract this woman from the background…of her original image so that she could…be placed on the background of the document…that we have set up here.…So if you click on the woman, make sure…you're on this layer, the Start layer.…And make sure that you're in the Pixel Persona.…
If you grab the Selection Tool, the Selection Brush Tool,…we're going to go ahead and make a rough selection.…This is also called a garbage matte.…And it doesn't have to be perfect.…We just basically want to show Affinity…what we want to focus on.…Okay so we definitely want to get all…of her in here.…And that's pretty good.…So now if you would look up at the top…of the screen here in the context toolbar,…click Refine, and then we get this popup.…
So let's take a look at some of these options.…
Here Ronnie McBride introduces the workflows and tools required to get up to speed with this fast, powerful, and professional application. He shows how to work with workspaces in Affinity Designer, called personas; use the drawing tools; and create custom brushes. This course is designed to help artists feel more confident and become more proficient using Affinity Designer in their own work.
- Creating a new document
- Setting up margins, guides, and grids
- Snapping and aligning
- Drawing vector lines and shapes
- Using the Pen tool
- Creating and editing text
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Managing vector and pixel brushes
- Creating symbols
- Selecting areas and color ranges
- Using layer masks
- Creating layer effects and adjustment layers
- Exporting work
Skill Level Beginner
Affinity Photo Essential Trainingwith Steve Caplin3h 31m Beginner
Affinity Photo: Basic Portrait Retouchingwith Steve Caplin43m 8s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Understanding Preferences and Guides
3. Drawing Vectors Lines and Shapes
4. Manipulating and Managing Objects: Draw Persona
5. Understanding Panels
6. Selection Methods
7. Importing and Exporting Your Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.