Learn how to create and manage symbols for object reuse and document wide changes.
- [Instructor] If you have an element in your design…that you'll think you'll be placing multiple times…in the document,…you might want to consider converting this element…into a symbol.…Symbols are a smart little design feature…that will automatically update every instance…you use in your design.…Let me take a moment to demonstrate why I like…to call these symbols smart symbols.…So, if you look at the file that I have set up here,…I want to explain the anatomy of this file.…So we have a background here,…and that's locked.…So, we don't move it.…
And we can lock just by clicking this little icon here,…or to unlock,…you can hold Command + Shift + L…or Command + L to lock.…And, I'd like for you to focus on the meter group.…If you look at the meter group,…I have two objects in here,…and they are special objects.…And I can tell because it says donut.…And the bottom object is the same as the top object,…but I'm just showing the stroke.…Then I have a few effects.…
Added I have an outer glow,…and that color is blue.…Close that.…
Here Ronnie McBride introduces the workflows and tools required to get up to speed with this fast, powerful, and professional application. He shows how to work with workspaces in Affinity Designer, called personas; use the drawing tools; and create custom brushes. This course is designed to help artists feel more confident and become more proficient using Affinity Designer in their own work.
- Creating a new document
- Setting up margins, guides, and grids
- Snapping and aligning
- Drawing vector lines and shapes
- Using the Pen tool
- Creating and editing text
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Managing vector and pixel brushes
- Creating symbols
- Selecting areas and color ranges
- Using layer masks
- Creating layer effects and adjustment layers
- Exporting work
Skill Level Beginner
Affinity Photo Essential Trainingwith Steve Caplin3h 31m Beginner
Affinity Photo: Basic Portrait Retouchingwith Steve Caplin43m 8s Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Understanding Preferences and Guides
3. Drawing Vectors Lines and Shapes
4. Manipulating and Managing Objects: Draw Persona
5. Understanding Panels
6. Selection Methods
7. Importing and Exporting Your Files
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.