Sharing symbols across documents is possible via linked symbols. Just copy one symbol from one document and paste into another. The copy will stay linked to the original document, and if changes are made, all linked symbols can update with the changes coming from a single source of truth.
- [Instructor] If I have my symbols in one document, as, let's say, my design system, all the component, and all different asset, and then I wanna share this symbols with other designers, my teammates, this is now possible in XD using this concept called Linked Symbols. So let's see that in action. So here I have a lot of UI elements as symbols, and if I go here, I can select a symbol. Just before I show you that, let's see where this is stored.
So this is stored in my hard drive, this could be also in a network, and then this would work as the single source of truth, this is your file containing all of your main elements. So this is one single location where all the designers can get components as symbols. So with that there, I'll get the symbol, copy, Command C on the Mac, Control C on Windows, go to my document that I'm working, it's called New File. And then as soon as I paste, you notice that more than the simple green decoration, this guy now has this green icon, meaning that this is linked to the single source of truth, that other XD document.
If I go back to that document and I make a change, let's say if I hear feedback, and then I need to change this from this sign to almost like a black, and I save, if I switch back to that document, you see that that green icon, it's now blue, showing that there's an update to this. And then as a designer here, I can hover this little icon on the Assets banner to preview. If I go to the grid view I can see it a little bit better.
And then if I accept that change, I can click here to see that change. It keeps the connection, it stays linked, but now I pulled that change. So this is a very good way for you to, let's say, build a design system with all your components, you can then store in one place, and then other designers can copy elements from that location and paste into your document. If for some reason you move this guy to a new location, that connection is now broken.
But I can right click here and re-link, and then if I point to that new document, that's right there, the connection is healthy again, and now everything is linked. Again, very useful way for you to create this design system in a sharing mechanism to keep one single source of truth.
- Understanding all tools in Design mode
- Bringing files for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch
- Working with text, vectors, image fills, and masks
- Repeating elements with the powerful Repeat Grid tool
- Resizing multiple elements with responsive resize
- Using the new Assets panel to manage symbols, colors, and character styles
- Sharing symbols across files, with text and image overrides
- Creating and consuming bitmaps and vectors from CC Libraries
- Extending the power of XD using great plugins