Get an example of how to combine shape layers with Smart Objects in Adobe Photoshop.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- If we convert shape layers to Smart Objects,…we have much more editing flexibility.…Here's a simple example.…I have this image that I want to put into a film frame.…I'm going to come and choose my Custom Shape tool,…and choose the film frame custom shape…from my available shapes.…I'll hold the Shift key as I draw that…to keep it proportional.…Now I want to clip the image to the frame itself,…i.e. make sure that it's not overlapping the spools.…
So I'll switch to my Rectangle tool,…and draw a second shape.…That needs to move down…beneath the image layer.…I'll hold down Option or Alt…and clip that image to that layer.…I'll now select the image and press V…to go to my Move tool,…and I'll nudge the image down within that frame.…I now have three layers that make up my film frame,…and so that I can edit them as one,…I'm going to select all three of them…by holding down the Shift key and selecting their layers,…right-clicking to the right of any their names,…and converting them to a Smart Object.…
As a Smart Object, I can do all sorts of things with this,…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Filterswith Nigel French6h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2015)with Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.