Learn to identify the 3 shape tool behaviors in Photoshop: Shape, Path, and Pixels.
- Let's get familiar with the basics of the shape tools.…These are the shape tools,…they all have the single key shortchut "u".…So if you're in any other tool you can press "u"…to access the active shape tool,…and then shift "u" to cycle through the shape tools.…Working with a rectangle…let's look at the three different behaviors…as determined up here on the tool options.…Shape, path and pixels.…When I create a shape,…that shape will have a fill and a stroke.…
You'll notice that it creates a shape layer…that can be moved around independently of the other layers,…and also that the live shape properties panel…automatically appears.…That's assuming that this option…on the properties panel is chosen.…"Live shapes" in Photoshop terms…are rectangles, rounded rectangles, and ellipses.…We'll be talking about these live shape properties…in upcoming movies.…I'm now going to switch to the second behavior, "path".…When I draw a path we don't see any fill, there's no stroke,…all we see is a non-printing gray outline.…
This path exists only as potential,…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Filterswith Nigel French6h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.