Learn to identify useful Photoshop keyboard shortcuts for drawing shapes such as rectangles, rounded rectangles, and ellipses—and the possible confusion that may arise when using them.
- Here are some tips for drawing shapes using modifier keys.…If you're familiar with how InDesign and Illustrator…work in this respect, you'll know that…you hold the shift key to constrain…and the opt or alt key to draw the shape…from the center point outwards.…Well, you can use those modifier keys…here in Photoshop as well,…but there are some caveats to keep in mind.…We're going to begin with the rectangle tool,…and I want to draw myself a square…centered upon the intersection of these guides.…So, to do that you would think,…"Well, you hold don't the opt key."…but when you do so, it actually toggles…to the eyedropper tool.…
So, the key is you start drawing…from that center point without any modifier keys…and then you hold down the opt key…and you can see as soon as I do that…it centers the shape on those guides.…I'll also hold down the shift key.…Other things to bear in mind,…I'm now going to switch to my ellipse tool,…and let's say that I want to draw myself…a perfect circle centered upon…the top right of my square.…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Filterswith Nigel French6h 32m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.