This tutorial shows how to use the Line tool—and why you might prefer to use the Pen tool instead to create lines in Photoshop.
- The Line tool is the least capable…of all Photoshop shape tools…and I say that because having drawn a line,…I'm holding down the shift key as I draw it to constrain it.…If I decide that I want to change the weight of the line,…you might expect that you would go to the stroke property…as you would in InDesign or Illustrator.…Well, that's not going to do anything.…That will change the stroke color,…but it won't change the stroke weight.…So, what you actually need to do to determine…the thickness or weight of the line…is to change the weight property,…but when you do that,…that has no effect on a line that is already drawn.…
So, if I want to change the weight of this line…that's already drawn,…then I need to go to the height property,…which seems a little counter-intuitive.…Actually, what you've just drawn with that line…is a rectangle.…So, you might say,…"Well, why not just use the Rectangle tool?"…And, yes.…Why not just use the Rectangle tool?…But, I think, better than using the Rectangle tool…or the Line tool to create your lines is the Pen tool.…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Filters (2015)with Nigel French6h 32m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.