Discover a way to use shape layers as clipping masks to define content areas in your Photoshop designs.
- Shape Layers can be very useful…if you're making a website mock up.…Here I have a mock up for a portfolio page,…and you can see I have three pictures already in place,…and on my Layers panel, I have hidden four other pictures…which I'd like to incorporate into the layout.…And here's how I'm going to do that.…So this is the picture that I want to place…down here at bottom left.…I'll turn that on,…position it roughly in place,…and then, I need to find…where this Shape Layer is…in my Layer stack,…so I'll just turn the picture off for a moment,…and cmd + click on that Shape Layer,…and it tells me right here, it's this one,…Rectangle 3 copy 3.…
So I'll now move that picture Layer directly above it,…turn on its visibility,…and then, holding down opt or alt,…I'll click on the line between the Shape Layer…and the picture,…and then the picture is going to be clipped…to the Shape Layer.…And now I need to scale it into position,…cmd or ctrl + t,…I'll hold down opt + shift so that I scale…from its centerpoint and I scale proportionally.…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.