Get an example of what you can achieve by converting type layers to shape layers
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- We can convert our type layers to shape layers,…and this will allow us, give us the flexibility…to create custom letter forms.…In this case, I want to use the heart shape layer…as the negative space of the O.…So to begin with, I need to convert my type layer…to a shape layer by right-clicking…to the right of the layer name…and choosing Convert to Shape.…Now, I'm in my Path tool,…which is why all of the anchor points…become visible when I do that.…
I'm going to click away to deselect those anchor points…and now come and choose my direct selection tool,…because I need to remove the interior shape of the O.…I'll click on the edge of that interior shape…and then when I can see the anchor points…I will click on one of them,…press delete once, and then twice.…Now, I'm going to move my heart shape…above what was formerly the type layer…and I will switch to my Path Selection tool,…select the heart and move this into position.…
I need to transform it, so I'll use…the keyboard shortcut here, cmd or ctrl + t…to bring up my free transform.…
- Creating basic shapes and lines
- Converting shapes to paths (and vice versa)
- Inverting paths and shapes
- Transforming shapes
- Designing with shape layers
- Creating web buttons, guides, and collages with shape layers
- Working with type and shape layers
- Creating custom shapes with Adobe Capture and Illustrator
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Filterswith Nigel French6h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2015)with Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
1. Creating Basic Shapes
2. Editing Shapes
3. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 1
4. Designing with Shape Layers: Part 2
5. Working with Custom Shapes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.